Director, Design – Tokyo Design CenterFull Time
Login to bookmark
Your Opportunity at ARC’TERYX:
As part of a small and dynamic satellite studio focusing on the Asia Pacific customer, you will lead the creation of exceptional consumer product concepts for Arc’teryx across a broad spectrum of categories including men’s, women’s, equipment and energy. Your entrepreneurial approach to design, creative leadership and strong consumer-facing product vision will help deliver highly innovative and performance-centric product aligned with our product merchandising strategy and the larger Asia Pacific opportunity. This is NOT business as usual; the Tokyo Design Center will be a ground-up undertaking that will accelerate our business, expand our product offering and define the next chapter of the Arc’teryx brand. Your passion, flexibility, outstanding communication, leadership and start-up mentality will be key to the success of this new endeavor.
Meet Your Future Team:
We are builders, problem solvers and passionate outdoor enthusiasts. Fueled by curiosity, we take an immersive approach to identifying future needs then build, test, and validate products that solve for real functional challenges. We are innovative problem solvers with a focus on collaborative teamwork.
If you were in the Director, Design role now, here are some of the core activities you would be doing:
- Building design direction that delivers against the brand vision, product strategy, regional opportunity and company goals
- Leading a team of cross-disciplinary, multi-cultural creators with a broad range of backgrounds and expertise.
- Provide continual communication to counterparts throughout the organization to ensure visibility, alignment and support
- Providing direction to product design teams to enable successful execution of seasonal range plans and new category concepts, as aligned with the Merchandising team, that deliver against the Design vision, product strategy and company goals
- Leading and empowering the product design team to identify and create comprehensive and innovative design solutions, technologies, construction methods and components that are in-line with Arc’teryx design values by providing high level design direction
- Solving for a wide range of environments and climate conditions that allow the user to move at their peak performance as a mountain athlete
- Participating in broader organizational strategy and planning as a key member of the Design leadership team
- Collaborating and aligning with Senior Director, Design on Arc’teryx product strategy in line with the Design vision
- Collaborating with Advanced Concepts in the creation of innovative platforms to support new product opportunities.
- Presenting product direction at seasonal stage gates
- Traveling globally to research product, participate in activities and attend industry events
Here are some of the things you could be working on in the future:
- Creating a culture of unmatched product excellence and consumer knowledge through the unique lens of the Asia Pacific mountain athlete
- New product concepts and opportunities driven by local and regional insights and influence
- Hiring, coaching, and inspiring a team of talented designers to drive innovation and creative vision
- Continuously innovating and evolving our product to meet and exceed the needs of the guest
Are you our next Director, Design?
- You have a Degree in Apparel Design, Industrial Design or Textile Engineering
- You have 12+ years of industry experience in technical apparel and or performance hardgoods design and/or production, including 5+ years leading design teams
- You have an excellent softgoods knowledge of technical garments, footwear, and gear construction and materials
- You have a relationship with and knowledge of climbing, skiing and hiking culture, and you deeply understand the end-user needs of these athletes
- You have a keen interest in technical product and its application to a variety of outdoor activities
- You have the ability to relocate to Tokyo, with frequent travel throughout the region
- You are comfortable in a mutli-lingual, multi-cultural working environment
- You are proactive in identifying the root cause of issues, seeking the best (sometimes not the easiest) solutions with an unwavering commitment to do what is right
- You remain highly flexible and adaptable when faced with ambiguity
- You effectively balance autonomy and collaboration
- You inspire breakthrough thinking and continuous improvement
- Your passion for your work is paralleled by your passion for getting outside and living it
Arc’teryx is committed to actively creating and fostering a culture of inclusivity where voices are heard, people are seen, and values are respected. We care about the uniqueness of our applicants, employees, and guests, and we do so in a safe space fueled by curiosity and acceptance.
Creating an inclusive workplace is connected to our core value Do Right while also having the added benefit of helping make our business better. We believe inclusion helps us to create a healthier, happier workplace, drive creativity and innovation, and reflect the communities where we operate.
All applicants, employees, and guests can expect equality of opportunity and fair treatment in alignment with our values.
Design your Purpose. Live our Values.
DISRUPTIVE EVOLUTION. Design your future through challenge, experimentation, and inspiration.
COMMIT. Set and deliver on bold objectives as we collectively raise the bar.
LIVE IT. Deepen your connection to nature and live your most purposeful life.
LEAVE IT BETTER. Create a better world, together.