Provide leadership, shoe making and material insight for design, development and PM and associated troubleshooting in order to deliver on time and accurate prototypes from line start through commercialization as well as execution of brand/category strategy. Manage product development and commercialization for European Product Hub footwear assortment with continuous connectivity and collaboration with Stratham leadership and global development teams. Lead and execute in a manner which is collaborative and fully aligned with Timberland global footwear processes and milestone deliverables seasonally. Provide product direction regarding cost, quality/standards and manufacturability across Product Creation team, including providing productive cross functional collaboration with Timberland Stratham-based Product Creation team, EPH team members, Supply Chain, Materials Development, Production, Engineering, VF Asia organization, Quality Assurance, Customs, Design, P roduct Management, GIC, CAD, Human Resources, Merchandising and Product Development Representation on multitude of cross-functional task forces.
We’re looking for an outstanding Senior Manager for Product Development in Footwear to join the Timberland team in Stabio.
Timberland is a global leader in the design and manufacturing of premium footwear, apparel and accessories for the outdoor lifestyle. For decades, we have been guided by a higher Purpose: to inspire and equip the world to step outside, work together and make it better.
Timberland is a subsidiary of VF, the world’s largest apparel and footwear company comprised of over 30 brands.
You may ask “Just who is VF?”. Well, we are the global company behind some of the world’s leading lifestyle brands. Household names such as Vans, Timberland, The North Face, Napapijri, Eastpak and Kipling.
As one of the largest apparel providers in the world, we are passionate about finding great people to join our extended family.
We believe that our associates have a great opportunity to develop their full potential with us. That’s because we offer the support of a global organisation and provide the freedom to try out innovative solutions, drive change and ensure progress never stops.
Let’s talk about the role!
We expect that the Senior Manager in Product Development for FTW will deliver unbeatable results whilst also fulfilling the following aspects of the role:
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: % of Time Involved Relative Importance
1. Strategic Project Management – Direct all seasonal line development for product category from line start through commercialization to ensure achievement of on time buy ready status on all projects. Provide leadership role for footwear category to proactively problem solve on all projects to ensure effective and efficient shoe making.
* Workload Strategy – Direct distribution of workload to effectively delegate projects to ensure complexity of projects matches staff experience and expertise.
* Collaborate with Asia development and production planning for factory allocation.
* Analyze workload at each prototype stage to ensure appropriate staffing to accomplish project goals while ensuring staff growth and development.
* Costing – Direct seasonal pre-costing and cost analysis to proactively identify issues and concerns. Lead problem solving across the product line.
* Strong connectivity, communication and collaboration with Stratham based development team and processes is paramount. % of Time Involved: 40% Relative Importance: 5 – Very High
2. Direct seasonal tear-down meetings assuming leadership role during tear-down meeting for assigned projects as well as overall category lead. Participate in product related meetings including Creative Direction and Seasonal Material hand-off meetings and tear-down meetings. Collaborate with Stratham Materials Development team for all leather and non-leather materials for seasonal projects and provide overall category leadership to ensure on time achievement of goals for product line.
Strong connectivity, communication and collaboration with Stratham based development team and processes is paramount. % of Time Involved:15% Relative Importance: 4 – High
3. Manage deadline adherence to all seasonal development and commercialization milestones. In depth knowledge of supply chain planning and production capacity planning process and ability to collaborate cross functionally to achieve seasonal product line goals. Partner with Development Director in managing CCMS, BR and product allocation. Strong connectivity, communication and collaboration with Stratham based development team and processes is paramount. % of Time Involved: 10% Relative Importance: 5 – Very High
4. Manage and lead decision-making process for mold development and complex constructions from initial drawing through production confirmation in conjunction with APD, Design and Engineering. Mentor development team to increase knowledge of complex outsoles. Strong connectivity, communication and collaboration with Stratham based development team and processes is paramount. % of Time Involved:10% Relative Importance: 4 – High
5. Fit – Participate and drive Prototype, Model fit and Extreme fitting sessions. Testing – Manage receipt of testing results for all new materials and work with Asia PD and Materials/QC to problem solve and approve or improve results.
Lasts – Support Development and Design team with seasonal Last development through Stratham Last Engineer. Strong connectivity, communication and collaboration with Stratham based development team and processes is paramount. % of Time Involved: 5% Relative Importance: 4 – High
6. Maintain and continue to develop competitive intelligence of footwear globally and market awareness, e.g. working with PM to understand distribution channel, target consumer and competitive brands to provide insight on how we can advance our product offering, maintaining in depth knowledge of Supply Chain, maintaining shoe-making intelligence, e.g. innovative processes, manufacturability. % of Time Involved: 5% Relative Importance: 4 – High
7. Collaborate with Design Directors to ensure on time and accurate tech pack release as well as ensure product is designed to hit target FOB.
* Provide leadership to PD and Design on ideas to improve product and process and guide team to shoe making solutions.
* Provide leadership and motivation to direct and indirect team members, including cross-functional team members. Effectively manage, support, lead and mentor direct reports.
* Manage seasonal MPA process. Manage category travel budget.
* Provide leadership opportunities to Senior Developers, e.g. project management, mentoring opportunity for interns, associates and developers.
* Provide strong leadership, organization and management to maintain productive relationships, e.g. factories, sample rooms, mold suppliers.
* Provide professional input, support and implementation of New technologies, compounds, processes to advance strategic footwear initiatives.
* Assist Development Director in leading continual improvement and cross-category projects to further develop leadership skills and broaden exposure.
* Strong connectivity, communication and collaboration with Stratham based development team and processes is paramount. % of Time Involved: 10% Relative Importance: 5 – Very High
8. Manage and guide the team through the seasonal milestone calendar for development through engineering tasks working collaboratively with Asia PD and Engineering. Strong connectivity, communication and collaboration with Stratham based development team and processes is paramount. % of Time Involved: 5% Relative Importance: 5 – Very High
9. Have a strong understanding of the Timberland’s factory and supplier strength’s and capabilities to challenge and create innovative product for Timberland footwear.
of Time Involved: 5% Relative Importance: 5 – Very High
How you’ll make a difference…
* Years of Related Professional Experience: 8+ years of footwear development and / or engineering experience. Proven leadership capability.
* Educational/Position Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Fashion Merchandising, Engineering, Industrial Design or related field. MBA or Master’s a plus.
* Management Experience: Proven leadership capability.
* Knowledge of Leather and Last Development. Knowledge of current and advanced footwear manufacturing processes and compound/mold/last development.
* Travel to overseas manufacturing facilities 2 – 4 times per year to manage problem solving of seasonal product line and to build experience with vendors and suppliers. Provide leadership and communication back to team in Stratham to ensure product category is achieving goals.
* Ability to work in a fast paced environment with cross-functional teams while handling multiple tasks; Enthusiastic and able to work in a cross functional capacity. Flexible and open to change. Able to work independently. Demonstrates a strong desire to increase footwear development, engineering and production knowledge.
* Strong analytic and problem solving skills. Recognition of process cause and effect.
* Quantitative and PC skills, PLM experience preferred.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to organize information and effectively communicate with our multi-lingual teams. Cross cultural respect and awareness.
* Strong collaborative work style to ensure seamless process alignment with Timberland Global Footwear processes and deliverables.
What’s in it for you?
Most companies like to say they offer a competitive salary, an amazing bonus and pension scheme as well as staff discounts (btw we offer 50%!). We also do this, only quite different. Because it’s not just our products which set us apart from others. It’s our people and we believe they deserve to be nurtured and looked after.
That’s why, on top of the usual benefits, we offer much more:
* Career ownership, enabling you to build your knowledge and experience across different brands and even different countries
* A supportive feedback-based culture where respect and integrity guide us in what we do
* Tailored training. From a thorough induction to ongoing online and face-to-face training, we are committed to helping you grow, both professionally and personally.
* An inclusive environment where people of diverse backgrounds, lifestyles and nationalities love working together
* On site gym offering health and wellbeing initiatives
* Subsidised canteen as well as break out areas offering complimentary hot drinks
If you liked what you have read and want to join our team then we would be keen to hear from you! Please submit your application and resume in English.
Die weltweit bekannte Marke Timberland ist stets bestrebt Qualitätsprodukte zu entwerfen, die dich sowohl in deinen Abenteuern wie auch im alltäglichen Stadtleben begleiten. Die Rede ist hier von einem weltweiten Vorreiter, der neben Schuhwaren und Kleidung auch Accessoires auf hohem qualitativen Niveau vertreibt, wobei eine umweltfreundliche Abwicklung, die internen Werte und die soziale Verantwortung des Unternehmens eine bedeutende Rolle spielen.