Komoot is an app that lets you find, plan, and share adventures with its easy route planner. Driven by a love for nature and powered by the outdoor community’s recommendations, komoot helps you explore more of the great outdoors—wherever and however you want. And we’re good at it. Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times. Today, with over 35 million users and 300,000 five-star reviews, we are well on our way to becoming the most popular app for finding, planning, and sharing adventures worldwide.
Join our remote-working team and start your adventure with komoot.
About the role
Join a brand new, motivated team of four to develop algorithms that generate Tours users can take as templates for their outdoor adventures. With our extensive utilization of user-generated content, we extract and distill the knowledge of the outdoor community to create these templates algorithmically. We’re leading the field with our novel approach and with your help we’ll take it to the next level.
Do you like to submerge yourself in difficult problems (and this is really difficult, we promise) and find simple and elegant solutions? Can’t wait to prototype and benchmark them with alternative solutions? Are you not content until you’ve implemented an idea and shipped it to users? If this sounds like you then you’ll thrive in our team.
In this role, your work will be central to helping millions of people find an unforgettable adventure in the great outdoors. This is a full-time (40hrs/week) role and can be done from any location within the UTC-1 to UTC+3 timezone.)
Ready for your next adventure?
What you’ll do
- Analyze and visualize internal and external (geospatial) data to derive insights and opportunities
- Discuss, exchange, evaluate, and challenge ideas with your teammates
- Devise, prototype, and systematically evaluate data solutions and algorithms
- Work on data problems that cannot be solved using traditional data science and machine learning techniques
- Contribute turning proof of concepts into well-crafted and tested production code
- Develop short and long-term roadmaps with your team
Why you will love it
- Your work will contribute to helping millions of people enjoy lovely outdoor experiences.
- We’ve been a remote-working company since 2017, meaning: We are remote by default, have frameworks and systems in place, and know how to do it well.
- You’ll become an essential part of our diverse and international team with colleagues based in 15+ countries across Europe.
- 38 paid days off (inclusive public holidays) – you are free to take those days whenever it suits you, including a well-deserved winter holiday break.
- We love seeing people grow. That’s why each team member gets €2,000 and 3 additional days to spend on professional development each year. Classes, conferences, books – your choice!
- Costs covered for your co-working space membership or your work-from-home office setup and the latest devices and equipment to do your best work.
You’ll be successful in this role if you
- Are highly self-driven, responsible, and keen to learn and improve
- Are a strong team player and a strong communicator
- Have a passion for finding creative solutions and validating their merit
- Have 3+ years of professional experience in data science (model building)
- Have professional experience in writing clean, tested and documented python code (e.g. for a REST API)
- Have knowledge in and excitement for math, statistics, machine learning, and data visualization
- Appreciate the outdoors, nature, and being active
- Bonus: Have knowledge of GIS
- Bonus: Experience in applied research
Not sure if you meet all requirements above? Don’t sweat it – if you think you’re the right person anyway, we’d love to hear from you!
Curious about how we work?
- Core Communication time between 10 am – 3 pm (Berlin Time). We know people have different lifestyles, which is why we have flexible working hours with core time for synchronous interaction. You can organize your workday in the way that best suits you, your family, and your needs.
- We work on a project basis in cross functional teams to ensure that we collaborate on our goals, move forward smoothly with open lines of communication, and achieve results as a team.
- Every Monday morning, we have a whole-company presentation where you hear about projects across the business, inspire each other, and share great work.
- We connect in-person at three whole-company gatherings each year in beautiful locations. You can check out this playlist to find out more about how we stay close while being remote.
- We use tools like Trello, Slack, Miro, Zoom, and Google Drive on a daily basis to stay connected, collaborate easily, and manage projects.
Dive a little deeper and learn…
- More about our team here: Meet the Team
- More about how we work here: How We Work
- More about our recruitment process and FAQs here: FAQs
We support diversity and inclusivity and welcome all prospective applicants. We have a rolling recruitment process – if this role is online, it means it’s still open.